Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Trolling is a Matter of Perspective

     During last night's rush to get the rhetorical precis and the chart done, one of the online articles actually sparked my interest and inspired me to create this post.  Within her article "When 'Trolling' Becomes an Umbrella Term",  Vyshali Manivannan brought up that "When Anonymous accurately identified the football players who raped a young girl in Steubenville, Ohio, they were hailed as “hacktivists”; but when they inaccurately identified the police officer who shot a young black man in Ferguson, Mo., they were lambasted as “trolls.”  This quote brought to my attention that there is no official definition to trolling and that the meaning depends on the person using it.  The meaning can be positive or negative depending on the context an individual uses for the word.  For example, the majority of the texts we read in class refers to the harmful comments people leave and how it adds on to the topic of cyber bullying; however, in the gaming world, trolling is often considered to be comedic to the point that people make Youtube videos trolling others that bring joy and laughter to one's day rather than harm.   I must also bring up that some people can take it too far which then turns into borderline harassment but I don't think it's the best idea to judge the majority due to the minority.  All in all, I believe trolling is a very trivial term.  The way people use the word tends to shift quite a bit so when it comes to trolling, having the ability to view things from multiple perspectives can be a great asset.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog opened my eyes to the term "trolling." After reading all of these articles, I was leaning towards the thought of trolling being either positive or negative, but like you pointed out, there is definitely a grey area in between. For me, I have always thought of trolling to be negative, but now I am realizing that it depends on the situation and trolling can also be beneficial. For instance, my sister is always playing video games online with anonymous people. I never realized, until I read your blog, that she is taking part in trolling because she doesn't reveal her identity while playing online. However, parents should also be more aware that these "innocent" interactions with anonymous trolls online can lead to friendships, which is a very scary thought.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.