Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Get the Government Involved

After reading the article "Anonymity Online Serves Us All" by Gabriella Coleman, I no longer believe we should ban anonymity.This would just be punishing many people who simply hide their identities to speak out about sensitive issues such as medical issues or controversial topics. There must be another way to limit trolling without limiting free speech to those who use it effectively. I think a possible solution to stop trolling would be for the government to implement more consequences to those who not take trolling to another level. Another writer in the Room For Debate, Danielle Citron, explains in "Free Speech Does Not Protect Cyberharassment" that people can be legally prosecuted for things such as cyberharassment. The first amendment protects free speech, "but there is a point when trolling escalates beyond the offensive and shocking into cyberharassment or cyberstalking" which can then lead to serious consequences.

Although many people have heard of these types of consequences, no one really pays attention to them because online abuse is probably low on the political agenda. I know law enforcement have way more to deal with than just people taking trolling to another level, but maybe more laws on cyberharassment can limit trolling. Owners of social media and other large websites don't do much to stop trolling so maybe it is time for the government to intervene. Cyberharrasment can cause people negative affects on victims, so it is not fair to just watch it happen. We typically don't sue a friend for commenting something rude on our profile, but we might want to if a person is constantly interfering with our lives.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your point about the government getting involved with cyber bullying/harassment. Before reading most of the articles I use to think that anonymity should just be banned since trolling was calling so much harm, but now I don't think so. Trolling can be stopped if the government actually does something about it. People shouldn't suffer for other people's stupid mistakes. I think the government should start to enforce laws on social media apps and trolling because most social media apps gain more money because of these trolls which isn't right. If social media apps do that, I think the government should charge them for not taking care of their consumers like they should. The internet would be a safer place with the government getting involved with cyber harassment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree because many people are to scare to speak up. On the other hand if people use trolling as a negative way they should be punish because how would they learn. Also, Eileen you are correct about social media apps only caring about the money not the people. And i agree on your point of view "I think the government should start to enforce laws on social media apps and trolling because most social media apps gain more money because of these trolls which isn't right" For instance, trolls can impact someone life or even control there life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree because many people are to scare to speak up. On the other hand if people use trolling as a negative way they should be punish because how would they learn. Also, Eileen you are correct about social media apps only caring about the money not the people. And i agree on your point of view "I think the government should start to enforce laws on social media apps and trolling because most social media apps gain more money because of these trolls which isn't right" For instance, trolls can impact someone life or even control there life.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.