I do recall a situation where I was harassed by anonymous trolls on the internet. There was a time during my 10th grade year when social media just started to explode and become even more popular. Instagram was at its peak and was one of the most popular apps people used. Then people started to use twitter, kik, tumblr, pinterest and many others. But then, there was an app that nobody had heard of that started to become popular as well. My friends introduced it to me, they told me it was very interesting. It was known as Ask.fm. This use of social media had a divergent way of allowing communication with users. On ask.fm people were allowed to ask others any kind of question or make any comment, but there was a catch. You have the option to ask anyone anonymously. Once I had signed up, it started out okay. There were many people who gave me little compliments, and asked questions about how my day was. But, later down the road I did recall that some people at school didn't like me and would constantly talk crap. This app would be their key to success. In the weeks that passed, I started to receive many negative comments. People would say,"You're a faggot. You're Gay. No One likes you. You were a one night stand. You're a little b*tch. Stop trying hard, etc." I answered these comments with answers that made me look like I didn't care what they said, or that I knew how to fight these trolls off. But, deep down inside I was hurt. I felt very attacked, and the hardest part was it could've been anyone, since it was anonymous. It could've been a friend who I thought was actually my friend, but in reality they were sending me hateful and distasteful comments. I also don't understand why I even kept that account. It wasn't providing me with anything positive. I had a few good questions and compliments here and there, but most of it was just bullies and hateful people sending me hurtful messages. I guess I kept it because I wanted to see how much hate I could take in and handle. But it did help me learn that not everyone will like you, and you can't please everyone. I also learned to believe that if everyone likes you, then you must be doing something. There will always be one person who won't like you, even for no reason. Ask.fm and these anonymous trolls made me a stronger person, and opened my eyes to the ugly truth. There are hurtful and negative people in this world who will try to bring you down to lift themselves up. But honestly my experience with these trolls didn't bring me down, it brought me up.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.