Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The drought to end all droughts

My research paper is on the drought here in California. This is a very pressing issue now, even though you probably haven't hear much about it lately, because this is the driest three year stretch since 1895! I bet you're wondering how and why this even matters to you. If you aren't, well now you are. This drought is very bad and it affects California's agricultural industry because farmers throughout the region use approx. 80% of the state's water that goes to human use according to the California Academy of Sciences. California produces 50% of the nations fruits, vegetable, and nuts, along with other commodities, like dairy products. California also has over 250 crops that are very water intensive like rice, and cotton. This is a very important issue, that meteorologists say can possibly end because of El Niño. California would need a very strong El Niño to deliver that much rain. Some questions that I have for you, the readers, is has the drought affected you? Someone you know? Do you care deeply about this issue or dismiss it like most do? And do you think El Niño is going to come anytime soon?

2 comments:

  1. I think after El Niño the drought in California shouldn't be to bad but not enough to help end this situation

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you are writing about the drought. A lot of people in California tend to "doubt the drought" which they should not. I believe since some residents of California don't physically see how we're in a drought, they start to doubt it. Residents need to become more conscious because it is true that the drought is affecting our agriculture. Maybe when people start to notice that the drought is affecting our food, they will actually try to make a difference!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.