Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Food Growth

For my research project, I'll be talking about how California's drought is affecting our natural food supply. As are water supply is wasting away due to global warming and global consumption, we have more dry land which causes fishes and sea animals to die. With more dry land, less plants that will grow, the less plants that will grow, the less food cows will have to eat and then later die off. Basically what I'm trying to say that our food is quickly depleting and we are aware of this problem but as human beings we always want more. A group of scientist made a model of earths land and predicted how it would be at the end of 20th century, they say again obviously the earth will be dry but also extremely hot although it's just a silly theory it's also a possibility. The most immediate consequence of drought is a fall in crop production, due to inadequate and poorly distributed rainfall. Farmers are faced with harvests that are too small to both feed their families and fulfill their other commitments. Livestock sales act as a buffer in times of hardship, farmers disinvesting in these assets to buy food. The first animals to be sold are usually those which make the least contribution to farm production, such as sheep and goats. However, as the period of drought-induced food deficit lengthens, farmers will have to start selling transport and draft animals, such as oxen and donkeys, as well as breeding stock, which constitute the basis of the household's wealth. 

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion I feel like we need to lower down the production of meat only to save the little water we have. I know that everything we eat requires water in order to make it, but meat uses more water than veggies, grains, and beans. A pound of beef uses 1,800 gallons of water. That's a lot of water per one pound so imagine how much water was wasted for 5 pounds of beef. I know it sounds crazy to say we shouldn't produce anymore meat, but I think we should just be cautious about how much we do produce. The theory of our planet becoming dry land is actually scary, but we can do stuff to stop it. This is just my opinion and I know people won't agree with me, but instead of starting to sell oxen and donkeys we should just lower the production of meat. We can't just stop eating to save the water, but we can lower down productions which can save our water.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.