Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Poor Health and Finances

As we saw in the Ron Finley video about ghetto gardening, there is a high correlation between areas with low income  and bad nutrition.  I have also noticed in areas that I go to, many people are overweight in places where families seem unable to pay for healthier meals.  I am wondering why the prices of healthier foods such as vegetables and fruits are so high.  Why is it that fast food is so cheap?  Even if people shop at grocery stores there is a gap between the prices of fresh products and processed foods.  I was once getting coconut water and the one with plenty of added sugar was half the price of the coconut water with no added sugar.  Even unhealthy after school snacks are cheaper than healthy snacks.  A large pack of fruit snacks is cheaper than a pack of raspberries or strawberries.

Bad health and obesity are becoming more and more prevalent recently.  It is hard for people to start eating healthy especially when they are low income, because they cannot afford the foods that will help them lost weight.  I have noticed in my research that ares of low income and high obesity rates
almost overlap when comparing the maps of the United States.  There are many reasons that lead this, such as discipline or prices.  Throughout my research I can answer questions that I have for myself when it comes to grocery shopping.  Sometimes, the unhealthy foods that you crave are made of easier access for you to buy.  Why aren't healthy foods made as available as these unhealthy snacks.  I will be glad to find out.

1 comment:

  1. i agree with sarah because not everyone can afford food that is healthy or the best for their health. like pizza, but we still like it LOL. Although the take out choice isnt always the smartest choice, it might just be the easier way to go.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.