Monday, March 28, 2016

Healthy Eating, Happy Stomach

If I knew then what I know now about the food industry, my eating habits would have changed and been very different. Four years ago, I was eating like a typical teenager. I consumed many cheeseburgers, greasy fries, sugary sodas, and countless bags of flaming Hot Cheetos. Vegetables were nonexistent in my diet. Friday nights were when my friends and I would bake cakes, brownies, cookies, you name it; we tried them all. I wish I had the knowledge of what all this junk food was doing to my body back then. I had constant stomach aches that drove me to see a doctor. I was even tested for an ulcer. Luckily, I didn't have an ulcer, but the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong. All they said was that my stomach problems were caused by stress. Yes, I was under stress. I was trying to balance good grades, friends, extracurricular activities like cheer and clubs, but I wasn't doing any more than my other friends who weren't suffering the way I was. I slowly became more aware of what I was eating and how I felt after I ate. I began to change my eating habits, cutting out pretty much everything I was used to and replacing it with wholesome foods. I stopped eating chips, fries, cakes, cookies, fast food, drinking soda and started eating salads, vegetables, sandwiches, whole grains, and drinking lots of water. All of sudden, my stomach aches stopped, but my stress did continue; therefore, there wasn't a link between my stress and my stomach, it was what I was putting into my body. Now, if I eat something unhealthy, my stomach is affected and it makes me realize that I just can't eat like that anymore. People might think that I miss eating fries and chips, but I honestly don't. Something in those foods makes me sick and are not appealing to me anymore. If I knew about all the harmful additives in processed foods back then, maybe I wouldn't of had to suffer with stomach problems as long as I did.

2 comments:

  1. It is not just junk food that is unhealthy; its processed foods in general that are very insalubrious. Of course it is good that you cut out the junk food from your life, but it is still smart to check out what is in all foods we consume. The most ordinary foods that you could think of could cause stress to someone. Even “healthy foods” could be unhealthy with the way our food systems are being ran today. The politics of our food is so corrupt that I don’t know what to believe on the food labels anymore. When our country enlightens and starts to move organically, the world will see how much of an effect the foods we are eating has on us. I’m glad that junk food doesn’t appeal to you anymore, that’s how it should be for everyone. Once junk food becomes a turn off for everyone in society we will start to see some great change in people, physically and mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Sam. He's right when he mentions the fact that we should still keep in mind that all foods we intend to consume should be given a look at. From the many documentaries and articles that we have read, we should at least be a little more mindful when it comes to what we buy at grocery stores. Even a label says it is organic or all natural, we should still be hesitant when believing what we see. With all of the sneaky ways of the food industry, it is still our best option to further our investigation in what we put into our mouths.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.