Monday, March 14, 2016

Creating a Better Community

When I first heard about us being able to decide our question on the issue of healthy eating, I was excited since I felt that I would finally be given free reign on deciding what I felt was important. But when it came to my question and topic, it seemed to vague for it to be determined. Now I have structured my paper to surround the topic of creating community organizations to better the lives and well-being of lower income areas. I have always wanted to make a statement when it came to giving back to my community and finding ways to involve others and allow it to be a motivator for people to achieve a better life, and with this topic, I now have the opportunity to do so. Every day on my way home from school and work, I find myself noticing the many McDonald's, Jack-in-the-Boxes, and 7-11's all within less than a mile radius from each other. To me this is an issue especially for lower income families that have to work longer hours just to buy their family a 20 dollar meal deal at the nearby Tam's. So my paper will be centralized around the idea of lessening the enormous amounts of fast food restaurants and creating farmer's markets that enable families to gain access to healthier foods at a lower price. This will not only effect the people's health in a matter of longevity in life, but it can also enable families to get closer together and have time together to talk over a cooked meal and and maybe even create closer bonds with each other. There may seem to be an issue of how this food would be obtained, but in my paper I will also be promoting the idea of local farms that communities can control together and sustain on their own. Also there will always be a problem when it comes to motivating others to change their ways. I know now may not seem like the right time to push people into changing the way things have been for over 20 years, but there is always a chance to rally people when you educate them on what is actually happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.