Wednesday, March 23, 2016
The Secrets Hidden in the Kitchen
Up until now, I never really cared much for what went on behind the scenes of restaurants. There are videos I have seen out of boredom such as what McDonald's chicken nuggets are really made of but for some odd reason, it did not phase me. Perhaps it was because I never really enjoyed McDonald's in the first place. As for other places, however, I had the mindset of "what I don't know won't hurt me" but man was I wrong. After watching Food Inc., I finally began to realize what was going on behind the scenes of many restaurants and food chains. That movie, as well as many other sources, has influenced me not to eat as much meat and in the event that I do, to get the meat from a source different from industrial farming. Not only had these sources changed my eating habits, but they have also changed my view of the government. I was under the illusion that the government is protecting us from the food corporations that grow food in an unhealthy manner; consequently, I blindly ate anything that was available. Now I realize that it is the food corporations that have control of the government. If I had known this information earlier in my life, I would have worked harder towards a more pescatarian lifestyle; in addition, I would not have supported the previously mentioned corporations by purchasing their products. I'm grateful to these sources now because I am finally starting to take action and make smarter and healthier food choices. It would be beneficial if many more people were to know the dark secrets hidden in the kitchen of restaurants.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Justin, I agree with you that ever since we saw Food Inc. in class, my views on the food industry has changed tremendously. I didn't have any knowledge about how cruel the food industry is towards the animals. I was very naive to think that the animals living on these farms were being well taken care of, have lots of room to roam, and were able to be outside, so I was horrified when I found out what was really going on. In reality, the animals are living in closed, confined, filthy conditions. My diet, today, doesn't consist of much meat, and I, too, can see myself becoming a pescatarian (even though I had to look up what being a pescatarian consists of). Maybe our generation will change the way we eat, and in return, the food industry will have to follow.
ReplyDeleteI felt the same way too. Before this unit, I would always feel that whatever food franchises gave me was alright. I would go into a place and think to myself "well, of course this is safe enough for me to eat, if it wasn't, they wouldn't sell it to me", but man was I wrong. I had no idea of the process that went into making chicken nuggets or the insane amount of sugar that went into making the sweet iced tea until I worked for McDonald's myself just this past year. Unfortunately, that experience alone didn't open my eyes to the sadistic ways of the food industry. I wasn't until this unit that I came to learn just what exactly happens to the food we eat. It's pretty sad that we as a society over look this kind of stuff unless given an insider's look.
ReplyDeleteWell first of all, the whole pescatarian thing is also dangerous too considering the whole farm raised fish industry and the pollution in the water that causes mutations. I'll just make my comment in this direction to serve a purpose that sheds some light on another topic. If you have ever been to a fish market, which you probably have, you would notice the "farm raised" label. Fish are raised in factories just like the animals with antibiotics and all. Even fish farms that function in the ocean or in lakes to give a more natural vibe to the process are still denying the fact that fish are not meant to be mass produced just as animals are not either. It is also dangerous to buy fish in general. From personal experience I once saw a fish on my kitchen counter ready to be gutted until I saw a large tumor on its side that was a third of the size of its head. My parents never buy farm raised fish so this wild caught fish was also not safe. Though the negative impacts of farm raising fish are not making headlines yet, there is never any harm in looking into where fish come from too, though they are meant to be healthier than animal meat.
ReplyDeleteWell first of all, the whole pescatarian thing is also dangerous too considering the whole farm raised fish industry and the pollution in the water that causes mutations. I'll just make my comment in this direction to serve a purpose that sheds some light on another topic. If you have ever been to a fish market, which you probably have, you would notice the "farm raised" label. Fish are raised in factories just like the animals with antibiotics and all. Even fish farms that function in the ocean or in lakes to give a more natural vibe to the process are still denying the fact that fish are not meant to be mass produced just as animals are not either. It is also dangerous to buy fish in general. From personal experience I once saw a fish on my kitchen counter ready to be gutted until I saw a large tumor on its side that was a third of the size of its head. My parents never buy farm raised fish so this wild caught fish was also not safe. Though the negative impacts of farm raising fish are not making headlines yet, there is never any harm in looking into where fish come from too, though they are meant to be healthier than animal meat.
ReplyDelete