I've always questioned the safety of our food and what I put into my stomach. It never occurred to me that our food can be harmful towards our health. The first time I really started to question the food industry started when I read the book Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer in AP Language last year. I was never a big fan of eating meat because it never really made me feel good after I consumed it. This book opened my eyes to the cruelty that animals suffer to become our source of protein. I never actually thought of the process that animals went through just to become our dinner. In the book Foer interviewed factory workers and he even sneaked into a factory just to show us the life of a factory animal. The animals are usually cluttered in a small space together and live in their own filth. During this unit the movie Food Inc. also interviewed a factory worker and showed us how the animals are treated in the factories. The chickens were cluttered up together in a barn with little space to walk around. Some of these chickens even ended up dying around the flock. These animals suffer abuse just to become our meals which most people don't even appreciate.
Not only are the animals mistreated; the factories are also unsanitary. In the movie Food Inc. we got to see the inside of the factories and they weren't glamorous. Before reading anything about the factories I use to think everything was super clean and the meat was well washed, but I was wrong. The factories are dirty and the meat isn't properly washed. Some of the meat is covered in blood and the animal's urine. Factory workers don't get a say in this because they'll lose their jobs. Companies even end up paying people from the FDA in order to keep things in their factory okay. The government doesn't pay close attention to these meat factories because the FDA says they're okay when they're only covering for their wrong doings.
After all the stuff I learned from the meat industry I decided to change the way I eat. I'm not vegan or a vegetarian, but I have cut down on meat. Changing the way I eat made me feel better. I felt more energized and healthier. I don't think meat is truly bad for our body, but the way it is made makes it bad. We shouldn't be suffering because of the GMOs in our meat. These animals shouldn't be treated the way they are to become something that really isn't edible for us. What the meat industry is doing doesn't benefit us or the animals, but the money in their pockets.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.