Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Trolls Don't Live Under Bridges

What is a troll? Growing up, I always thought a troll was a monster who lived underneath a bridge; however, that is not the case. Now a days, this term is used for monsters who hide behind computer screens. These so called "trolls" attack anyone for their own pleasure. It doesn't matter your age, ethnicity, or gender. Obviously these people have way too much time on their hands and feel inferior to others. I believe that these people are jealous, have poor self esteem, and attack others to make themselves feel better. For example, when I read the article, "What Happened When I Confronted My Cruelest Troll,"by Lindy West, the troll admitted, "I think my anger towards you stems from your happiness with your own being. It offended me because it served to highlight my unhappiness with my own self" (West 18). This statement reassured my opinion that trolls are the weakest and are the true meaning of an Internet bully. To find faults in somebody you never met, have no clue who they really are, and put a judgement on them, is classless. But as the Internet keeps evolving, these trolls will continue to harass and attack individuals. If I were the one being attacked by an anonymous troll, I would try to remember that their opinion of me means absolutely nothing. The only opinions I care about are family, friends, or people who know me. To solve this problem, I would stay off of social media for a while, maybe change my social media accounts, and only allow people I know to have access to it. We need to be smarter because we live in an age where technology is very helpful, but can be very harmful at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.